Name: Rui Pedro da Costa Chaves
Academic Degree: Phd Linguistics
Professional Status: Associate Professor, University at Buffalo (SUNY), USA.
CLUL's Research Sector: CLG
Research Areas: Syntax, Semantics, Processing.
- Phd Linguistics, 2007. University of Lisbon.
- MA, Natural Language Processing, 2003. Faculty of Letters (University of Lisbon)
- Licentiate, Natural Language and Knowledge Engineering, 1999. Faculty of Sciences (University of Lisbon)
- Chaves, R. P. 2013 "An expectation-based account of subject islands and parasitism" Journal of Linguistics, 49(2), pp. 285–327.
- Chaves, R. P. 2012 "Conjunction, cumulation and respectively readings"Journal of Linguistics, 48(2), 297–344.
- Chaves, R. P. (2012). "On the grammar of extraction and coordination" Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 30(2), 465 - 512.
- Chaves, R. P. (2010). "Crash-free syntax and crash phenomena in model-theoretic grammar". In Michael T. Putnam (Edt), Exploring Crash-Proof Grammars (Language Faculty and Beyond), John Benjamins.
- Chaves, Rui P. (2008). Linearization-based word-part ellipsis. Linguistics and Philosophy, 31(3): 261–307.
- Chaves, R. P. (2007). Dados para uma melhor compreensão das Estruturas de Coordenação em Português. Em Sessão de Estudantes do 75º Aniversário do Centro de Linguística da Universidade de Lisboa, pp.6.
- Chaves, R. P. and D. Paperno (2007). On the Russian hybrid coordination construction. In Stefan Müller (Edt.), Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, pp. 46–64. Stanford University.
- Chaves, R. P. (2007). Dynamic Model checking for Discourse Representation Structures with pluralities. In J. Geertzen, E. Thijsse, H. Bunt,and A. Schiffrin (Eds.), 7th International Workshop on Computational Semantics, pp. 28 - 40. Tilburg University, The Netherlands.
- Amaro, R., R. P. Chaves, P. Marrafa, and S. Mendes (2006). "Enriching Wordnets with new relations and with event and argument structures". In Alexander Gelbukh (Edt.), Seventh International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (CICLing-2006), Mexico, Mexico City. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 28 - 40. Springer-Verlag.
- Chaves, R. P. (2003). Non-redundant scope disambiguation in Underspecified Semantics. In Balder ten Cate (Ed.) Proceedings of the 8th ESSLLI Student Session, pp. 47 - 58. Vienna, Austria.
- Mendes, S. and R. P. Chaves (2001). "Enriching WordNet with Qualia information". Proceedings of NAACL 2001(North American Association for Computational Linguistics)Workshop on WordNet and Other Lexical Resources, pp. 108-112. Pittsburgh, PA, USA.